Inland Sea 5/16-5/18

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
nhangler
Species: salmon

Inland Sea 5/16-5/18

Post by nhangler »

4 boats with at least 3 of us putting some quality time in on the Inland Sea. 1 barely legal salmon and 1 short. On the NY side of the islands, the reliable laker bite was on but don't think anyone got any over 10 pounds. The biggest laker in my boat was only about 7.25. Lost one that was taking off so much line from a fairly tight drag that I got a nice mono burn in the palm of my hand as I lifted the rod. A big pike and several 3-4+ lb smallmouth were also caught. The only lamprey I saw was a 3" one that must have fallen off one of the fish.

I hit quite a few well-known spots in the IS and marked A LOT of fish scattered at all depths. Had some coming up to the spoons but no takers. I think it is better to fish in early to mid-June for salmon. ..at least up there.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Re: Inland Sea 5/16-5/18

Post by Reelax »

Wow. They gotta be somewhere. Never seen a summer where they all left before July! I know keelers shut off like a switch this year…

Thanks for the report!
Matt B
Skylander
Species: That which swims & tastes good

Post by Skylander »

Sad to here the lakers are coming to the Sea.
campskylandvt.com
nhangler

Post by nhangler »

Skylander wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 11:48 am Sad to here the lakers are coming to the Sea.
Sorry, should have been more clear. We did not get the lakers in the IS side, rather west of Grand Isle.

Lakers are still fun but my 3.5 hour ride up there (each way) I hoped for at least a couple of salmon.

It was still a great time with friends and Champlain is an amazing fishery.

I also brought up my new to me aluminum boat. Left the bigger glass boat at home for this one.
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

I was off the water for nearly a month and I fished the Sea last Saturday. Fished Cowbanks to to south of Eagle / Picked up and ran above the Georgia shore and did the St Albans bay run horseshoe finishing at Ball. Picked up and ran to Kibbi point trolled 2 hours to the cowbanks and back along the sandbar to to south of Eagle mtn. again. We lost two jumpers. One looked 16" and the other about 20". First skunk this year on trip #19 logged on my spreadsheet. Marked nearly no bait / saw two boats / no birds. On a Saturday morning from 6 am to 1 pm.

My buddy Tom fished the next day with a guest and he lost one salmon and worked the deeper water and saw 3 boats. He was 0/1. Again no bait.

Had a memory come up on Facebook the same day May 18th 3 years ago with Randy (Surprise) holding a very respectable 24" 6.5 lb fat salmon on my boat from the Sea. The inland sea she giveth and taketh away!

kitchenpass

Post by kitchenpass »

We were in the Sea yesterday finding cold water with rare fish. We did find warmer water over by Eagle Mtn down to the state park. Caught our only fish from the Sea in the corner. We did duck through the hole into Malletts bay to find 67F water and thermocline at 31'. We only spent the last hour of our day there but picked up two fish in a hour. Hoping the Sea turns on before the Rotary
Reelax
Site Admin

Post by Reelax »

kitchenpass wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 11:41 am We were in the Sea yesterday finding cold water with rare fish. We did find warmer water over by Eagle Mtn down to the state park. Caught our only fish from the Sea in the corner. We did duck through the hole into Malletts bay to find 67F water and thermocline at 31'. We only spent the last hour of our day there but picked up two fish in a hour. Hoping the Sea turns on before the Rotary
2 salmon in the outter bay in an hr???

That is a start! Maybe it’s coming alive:)

Thanks for sharing!!!
Matt B
traymond34
Species: Champlain

Post by traymond34 »

This is off topic guys but I’m looking for a particular set of cowbell flasher. Do any of you use cowbells, The ones that run vertically just above the downrigger weight? I use the inline ones on my rod and the drag is awful when you hook up. Thanks
Reelax
Site Admin

Post by Reelax »

traymond34 wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 3:03 pm This is off topic guys but I’m looking for a particular set of cowbell flasher. Do any of you use cowbells, The ones that run vertically just above the downrigger weight? I use the inline ones on my rod and the drag is awful when you hook up. Thanks
Hard to find with small petals to ensure low
Blow back and fast beat like our little bait. So I make my own:)

Northland makes big petal blades that seem to work in lakers really well…. They cause so much blow back below 50fow I don’t use em..

Hope this helps, Matt
Matt B
cpmaple
Species: salmon,lakers and catfish

Post by cpmaple »

traymond34 wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 3:03 pm This is off topic guys but I’m looking for a particular set of cowbell flasher. Do any of you use cowbells, The ones that run vertically just above the downrigger weight? I use the inline ones on my rod and the drag is awful when you hook up. Thanks
Hammerhead charters & tackle makes what your looking for I have two sets myself. Norms bait an tackle in crown point NY use to carry them I don't know of he still does or not. But hammerhead has a web site to order from hope this helps.

Cpmaple
traymond34
Species: Champlain

Post by traymond34 »

Thanks
JTM203SOUTH
Species: SALMON

Post by JTM203SOUTH »

RE : Vertical Blades

Try AJ's Custom tackle in New Hampshire. I have several sets with smaller blades from him . If you don't see what you want on line, give him a call. He will usually build custom sizes and colors.

Jack
1999 Starcraft Superfisherman 196 "High Hopes "
1996 Starcraft Superfisherman 170 " High Hopes Too"
JTM203SOUTH
Species: SALMON

Post by JTM203SOUTH »

1999 Starcraft Superfisherman 196 "High Hopes "
1996 Starcraft Superfisherman 170 " High Hopes Too"