Saturday in the northern fleet

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Ahhspray
Species: Whatever the lake will provide

Re: Saturday in the northern fleet

Post by Ahhspray »

I already had an ipad mini but not one with a cell/gps ability. I purchased this several years ago and it works great, via Bluetooth, to provide ipad with gps ability. I keep both the puck and the ipad plugged into power. Works well.

https://www.amazon.com/Dual-Electronics ... w_wcB&th=1
Totally rebuilt - 1986 22' Starcraft 220V CC T-top w/ 1986 Evinrude 140hp and 1978 Merc 7.5hp kicker
Crayfish
Species: All of them

Post by Crayfish »

That’s a neat gadget, Ahhspray! I hadn’t seen those before. If I already had a tablet, that would be the way to go. I’ve got my stuff on order. I went with the cheapest Samsung Tab 8.5” I could find that had cell. I think it was around $120.

Thanks for the tips, everyone!
striper192001
Species: salmon

Post by striper192001 »

Wait.........I am kinda techo ignorant. Does that puck require cell service.....? So like Shawn if I don't have a tablet, I should get one with cell, correct ?
Mistress
Species: cold water

Post by Mistress »

Sooo glad you copped to being techno ignorant now I don’t feel alone! I have the ultimate techno solution aboard the Mistress but it only works in warmer weather, like mid April through early October. I can ask ANY question and I’ll get the answer plus is the ultimate good luck charm!!
Attachments
IMG_7594.jpeg
IMG_7594.jpeg (138.31 KiB) Viewed 705 times
Crayfish

Post by Crayfish »

:lol:
Crayfish

Post by Crayfish »

striper192001 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:31 am Wait.........I am kinda techo ignorant. Does that puck require cell service.....? So like Shawn if I don't have a tablet, I should get one with cell, correct ?
That is my understanding, John. If you have any tablet already then the puck will work to add GPS. If buying new, you’ll need to be sure whatever you get has cell on it. Tons of tablets are WiFi only, so be careful. The one I just ordered had AT&T LTE. Hopefully that is sufficient. More expensive ones have 4G, but not sure that is necessary.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Beware. I have an iPad
Mini 3 and an iPhone 12. I run navionics boating app on both. The mini 3 can’t be updated to iOS 13 and will only run iOS 12. The new navionics app required version 20 to run the new subscription… I can’t run navionics 20 on iPad 3 cause it won’t run iOS 13….

I’m stuck with older navionics maps in iPad till I figure this out.

Does anyone have any ideas?

I have navionics all updated and running fine on iPhone 12 but won’t let me down load with iPad mini3.

Sounds like a ploy to force hardware upgrades…
Matt B
dry net

Post by dry net »

Toying with the idea of buying the Navionics chip for my new ff. If I chose not to subscribe to the app is there any benefit with the mapping alone? Thanks in advance for any info, Matt
Mistress

Post by Mistress »

For what it is worth I bought the Nav chip(no subscription) for my Lowrance Elite 8 yrs ago and it is good for all waterbodies in the continental US and 25 nautical miles offshore east and west coast. I have used it in Champlain, Carmi, Maidstone and the big one, Lake Ontario and the topo is EXTREMELY accurate, as in within 2’ between contour line and fish finder reading. The GPS only takes 15 seconds to lock in no matter where I am at and good to go. If I knew how to use it to its fullest potential I would elaborate more as to what it can do. Seems like every time I mess with it I end up pushing buttons and scrolling through menus/options long enough to get distracted and miss doubles so I leave it well enough alone on default settings so I can easily find my waypoints and pins I have saved.
Crayfish

Post by Crayfish »

That's what I was seeing, Matt (Reelax), when researching. I needed IOS 13 or Android 7 to run the app. It was cheaper to get an Android unit with 7+ than an Apple with 13+.

Is there a way to "screen share" between the phone and tablet? You could just run Nav on the phone and see it on the tablet? Not sure. After 36yrs in the chip-making industry, I'm still pretty tech illiterate!
Crayfish

Post by Crayfish »

Matt (Dry Net). Depending on what you have for a unit, the Navionics chip will most likely have far better, more detailed maps than what you have on the FF. I've been living without it for a long time, and am just now making the move to the 21st century. I'm not sure it's needed, but will be nice to have. My old Garmin "Bluechart" or whatever they call it leaves a lot to be desired!
dry net

Post by dry net »

Thanks for the reply's fellas, appreciate it!