Port Henry - 11/23 Salmon Slam

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
ChessieMan
Species: trout/salmon

Port Henry - 11/23 Salmon Slam

Post by ChessieMan »

WOW!!!!!!!!!!! is all I can say - today was the day you wait for, the day you call home about, the day when you cash-in all your "pay-forwards"

Long and short - 28 salmon (14-18"), 26 lakers to 28" and a brown - No Foolin'!!!!!

Scott and I launched at Port Henry and got to FV about 8:15, 4 lines down - two DR's - 30 back and 2 dipsys - 25 pulls - started with 2-CI's - Patty's Day and Gold Bomb Pop, purple/black HB and Sunrise Speedi - saw birds (loons & gulls) working and they were right on the spot where I found bait last Sat.

Immediately hooked up to a 15" salmon - OK, this is looking promising - had 5 more releases and landed 3 more salmon in the next 20 minutes - all on the CI's - not a sniff on my favorite Speedi or HB - switched over to a Rainbow Speedi and an old Green/pearl Beattle HB - and that's about the last cogent thought I had for 3 hours - it was Friggin' Nuts! We stopped counting releases at 50 - we had 3-triples and 12-doubles.

At one point we had salmon leaping off the stern - you could see them coming up from 40' down on the screen - 3,2,1 - Wham!

All these fish were in a slot off the NY side - about a 1 mile long and 600 yards wide - I ran over the same bottom so many times the screen was a red mess - direction was not important, BUT speed was 2.6-2.9 anything above or below and we didn't touch a fish.

Took a break for a cup of chili about noon and that's just when the wind came up - it was flat calm 'til then - blew up to about 1 footers that were starting to cap over - the bite slowed a bit - mostly because it was more difficult maintaining headway and speed. Finally, about 1PM I pulled the plug - we could have caught more fish - but it was getting a little uncomfortable and why ruin a perfect day.

Not sure when I'll be back - but you can sure bet it'll be soon - Happy Thanksgiving everyone
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Re: Port Henry - 11/23 Salmon Slam

Post by raz »

WOW!!! What a super report. Those are the best of days for sure!
Thanks for the report and Happy Thanksgiving!
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Glad you had a wonderful time in FV. These are memorable moments you will cherish forever..... it does not happen too often.
Thanks for sharing with us.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
Dilly Worm
Species: target salmon & catch togue

Post by Dilly Worm »

Thats awesome ! So many fish !

Thanks for the info and Happy Thanksgiving !!
I do not exaggerate when I talk about fishing - I underestimate, like I say "just one more cast honey, then I'll come home" !
Keep Calm and... Fish On !
troutcrazy
Species: crappie, trout, salmon, perch

Post by troutcrazy »

Wow! that sounds amazing! I wish I had checked in before I went out today. Funny, I was thinking of heading down that way but I decided to save some driving and fish Converse and Whallon. Not much to report from my last few outings there.
Great report! It's inspiration to keep at it. I hope I can find some action like that soon!
freshguy
Species: landlocksalmon

Post by freshguy »

Awesome day, and from all your prior posts well deserved. Hopefully these fish will grow into some beautiful 2yo's next spring and summer.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Haven’t had a trip like that since the bird tornados down there a few years back… also in November.

Hmm. Time to put the gun away for 1 day.

Saturday looks nice;)

Thanks for sharing, glad to hear you had such a fun trip!!

Fish on!
Matt B
TruViking
Species: Those who thrive in Cold H20

Post by TruViking »

Nice Fish !