Good day out of Westport

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Bearcat
Species: cold water!

Good day out of Westport

Post by Bearcat »

Got out for a couple of hours Saturday and did pretty well. Went 4 for seven, a couple of fat 20” silvers and some lakers, lost two huge slams on the riggers, both were set around 60 to 65 feet in 62 degree bath water but that’s where the screens were lit up with bait and hooks. Kept one of each for the smokers and they were stuffed with 4 to 5” smelt and alwives. Cheaters may have helped but all fish were taken on the main lines, mostly on sausage gravy though two came on pike minnows that I tried dragging around 25’ off the ball.
TruViking
Species: Those who thrive in Cold H20

Re: Good day out of Westport

Post by TruViking »

Nice!
We're you finding that speeding up closer to 2.8-3 helped? I ask only because the H2O temp.

With those Numbers......
You may have the most Salmon caught in one Outing this Summer! :lol: 8-) :roll: :lol:
Nysrx01
Species: Trout

Post by Nysrx01 »

We’re you running north of Westport.
Dilly Worm
Species: target salmon & catch togue

Post by Dilly Worm »

That's a good day for this time of year !

I'm curious about the pike minnows - were either of the hits on those salmon ? I was on the VT side across from Westport the next day and got a salmon on a Rapala so maybe they're biting bigger bait than the usual small salmon spoons ??
I do not exaggerate when I talk about fishing - I underestimate, like I say "just one more cast honey, then I'll come home" !
Keep Calm and... Fish On !
Bearcat

Post by Bearcat »

TruViking wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:14 am Nice!
We're you finding that speeding up closer to 2.8-3 helped? I ask only because the H2O temp.

With those Numbers......
You may have the most Salmon caught in one Outing this Summer! :lol: 8-) :roll: :lol:
I was running about 2.25 at the ball
Bearcat

Post by Bearcat »

Nysrx01 wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:05 pm We’re you running north of Westport.
Was just in the middle of northwest bay. Will be fishing north in the narrows this week.
Bearcat

Post by Bearcat »

Dilly Worm wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:31 pm That's a good day for this time of year !

I'm curious about the pike minnows - were either of the hits on those salmon ? I was on the VT side across from Westport the next day and got a salmon on a Rapala so maybe they're biting bigger bait than the usual small salmon spoons ??
Was just something I wanted to try, has worked on brown’s elsewhere. Only took lakers on them that day. I figured they kind of look like small Alwife’s. Tried dragging one behind a small dodger but it twisted up really bad so I just ran it without hardware and I got the hits. I usually have a stick bait out on one line all season, probably should do it more often, they always seem to take something. The first nice silver I ever caught in that area years ago was on a 6 inch Smithwick stick behind a mini Dipsy. Some of the bait I’ve pulled out of fish here is huge. It’s a mystery why they keep hitting these little spoons while they’re actively feeding on much larger fish