Lake trout over supply and Salmon shortage!

Share info on fishing Champlain.
Wallyandre (Andre)
Species: salmon, SM, walleyes

Re: Lake trout over supply and Salmon shortage!

Post by Wallyandre (Andre) »

Don't expect NY to raise the numbers of samon in lake Champlain; I was reading this morning that they will reduce Chinook and cohoe to increase atlantic salmon so the money for salmon will be for the big O.
As Ron mentionne the decline coincided with the fleas, the fleas are probably not the only reason but the other thing that I see is the deterioration of the quality of the water; salmon like clean and cold water!.
The best water for salmon up in Quebec are the waters with the cleanest and cold water; some examples: lake St-Jean (St-John) the lake change 5 times in a year with new water coming from major rivers from very far north. The problem with this lake is the lack of smelts some years but the in last 3 years they are working on building new areas for the smelts to reproduce and it already shows. Another example is the Baskatong reservoir in november they start on emptying the reservoir so the only water flowing is the natural river that still flow all winter and in spring they close the van and filling up the reservoir with some new water and in those 2 examples it's all natural fish that reproduce and sustain the regular fishing.
bagman
Species: trout

Post by bagman »

All salmon in this lake are stocked from the federal Vermont hatchery and Grand Isle hatchery again in Vermont. NY raises no salmon for champlain. NY didn't even have a dedicated biologist for champlain until a couple of years ago. I don't buy the flea argument, Ontario is loaded with fleas
Wallyandre (Andre)
Species: salmon, SM, walleyes

Post by Wallyandre (Andre) »

Chinook and Cohoes may be different animals
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Wallyandre (Andre) wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:32 pm Chinook and Cohoes may be different animals
Very true! Catching Atlantics in Lake Ontario is rare despite millions (mostly fry) being stocked by the Canadien side. They call them unicorns when one is caught there. Minimum length is 25" to keep one.
dry net
Species: cold water

Post by dry net »

The lake fishing community on lake O is trying to rally and shoot down this proposal. If you fish the lake you may want to join the cause.
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

Wallyandre (Andre) wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 6:45 pm the other thing that I see is the deterioration of the quality of the water; salmon like clean and cold water!
The best water for salmon up in Quebec are the waters with the cleanest and cold water; some examples: lake St-Jean (St-John) the lake change 5 times in a year with new water coming from major rivers from very far north. The problem with this lake is the lack of smelts some years but the in last 3 years they are working on building new areas for the smelts to reproduce and it already shows. Another example is the Baskatong reservoir in november they start on emptying the reservoir so the only water flowing is the natural river that still flow all winter and in spring they close the van and filling up the reservoir with some new water and in those 2 examples it's all natural fish that reproduce and sustain the regular fishing.
THIS gets my vote....for what it's worth. Champlain is becoming a cesspool....study after study on how to clean the lake without much action towards actually doing something about it. JMHO
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Maybe a connection with Fleas and small Landlocks here or Atlantics salmon stocked in Ontario. Andre Morin had me talk to a Paul Smiths college expert and they agreed this could be a reality if there is no small bait to feed on and killing our small salmon due to the Fish Hook Fleas. Can't rule anything out until they find what's killing them. Timing of the Fish Hooks with the decline of small salmon started 5 years ago.
bagman
Species: trout

Post by bagman »

Glad to see this thread continue. Whether we agree or disagree on some of the comments it's important to keep this conversation going. I think we are all concerned about the salmon fishery and commited to getting it back in order. I know the powers that be occasionally drop in here to see whats going on. Hopefully they'll get the message
Greenhorn
Species: Anything with gills

Post by Greenhorn »

I agree with the low salmon numbers. I have been losing interest in Champlain as just targeting Lakers gets old. Two weeks ago, I fished Ontario with a friend and we say lots of bait and caught browns, steelhead, kings, and we even dropped down to sample the lake trout. We had two days of fishing and did ok for fishing on our own catching 7 browns up to 7.9 lbs, two steelhead, the biggest, 9 lbs, numerous kings with the heaviest 20.8 lbs. It felt great to target something other than lakers and actually catching something!