NYS DEC NetPen project for Atlantic salmon

Share info on fishing Champlain.
Dirtyhooker
Species: all

NYS DEC NetPen project for Atlantic salmon

Post by Dirtyhooker »

https://content.govdelivery.com/account ... ns/3133f43
Not sure if link works but hopefully this will help the salmon on Lake Champlain
So many Lures So little Time
dry net
Species: cold water

Re: NYS DEC NetPen project for Atlantic salmon

Post by dry net »

Great news!!!! Worth a try.
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Thanks for the link.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

This is cool. Thanks for the link..
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
Detritus
Species: Anything we can catch

Post by Detritus »

It will be interesting to see the results of the returning salmon to spawn, pen vs released in the river as control.

I've heard debate in the Vermont side, on how they used to release salmon in spawning grounds, but now they dump them over the side of the ferry because it's cheaper or something. I don't know how, or even if it's true, but, this pen project should give us another piece of the puzzle to work with.
"Country Angler" - '93 Trophy 2002 - Cold water boat
"Strike Three" - '04 Triton SF21 - Warm water boat
"The Dumpster" - '90 Starcraft SF14 - Camping Boat

Jack
popster
Species: Salmo Salar Sebago

Post by popster »

I received this email today from Bernie Pientka, VTFG Lake Champlain Fisheries Biologist about a post by Detritus Apr 29:
I noticed this posting on Champlain United. It seems “Detritus” has some incorrect information.
The Vermont Stocking information can be found online https://anrweb.vt.gov/FWD/FW/FishStockingSearch.aspx .

Vermont has been stocking salmon into the lower Sections of Multiple Rivers – Missisquoi, Lamoille, Winooski, Otter creek. We do stock a few off the ferries. VTFWD at one time did stock salmon fry and fingerlings higher in the watershed of some of these rivers but that was discounted as it was resulting in few smolts making it to Lake Champlain.
A large portion of the lake trout stocked by VTFWD are stocked off the Ferries.
Bernie

Bernie Pientka, Fisheries Biologist
Vermont Fish & Wildlife Department
111 West St | Essex Junction, VT 05452
802-879-5698 office | 802-922-6025 cell
https://vtfishandwildlife.com/
Bill
"POINTER"
Detritus

Post by Detritus »

Well that's good information to have, clears things up a little for me. Thanks for posting that Bill.

However, like most times I get more information, it just raises more questions for me. How do you determine how far up the spawning grounds to go? Which rivers to use? Do some rivers have a better survival or return rate than others? Why are they doing the pens in New York, if we have figured out the ideal distance upstream to go here in Vermont. Is that to firm up the imprinting as the article said? Is this a new idea? And finally, if all of this stream releasing of salmon is so important, why are any of them getting released off of the ferry at all?

I'm glad we have people looking at and working on all of this. Even paying attention to this site, what the common fisherman is talking about. We have a really good fishery, with the potential to make it even better. The lake trout program has obviously been a success. I'd say as a guess off the top of my head, about 40% of the Lakers we boat some days are native fish, when not that long ago, it was 0. Believe it or not, I think the native fish fight harder. It could be my imagination, but, the feisty ones seem like they are always the wild ones.

If you guys can do for the salmon what you've done for the Lakers, go for it. I for one would love to see it.

Jack
riverrunner
Species: Salmonids

Post by riverrunner »

It's a few trucks stocked from the grand isle-plattsburg ferry (hatchery cove is right there), and a few off the charlotte-essex ferry. WWWAAAAYYYYY more are put into rivers and boat launches around the lake. If really interested in the numbers go to the completed stocking section on the VTFWD website, click the Landlocked Atlantic salmon tab. It gives how many were released and location. It's a way to spread out the fish throughout the lake
Detritus

Post by Detritus »

Cool thanks. I'm glad we have people keeping a good eye on our fishery.

Jack