Afternoon Report 5/10

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
BlackDucks&BrownDogs
Species: All!

Afternoon Report 5/10

Post by BlackDucks&BrownDogs »

Fished a new area yesterday afternoon. Some recent reports for the waters between Colchester Reef and the Winooski piqued my interest.

I knew walleye season had opened and that the ramp might be busy. Sure enough, it was buzzing when I pulled in. I quickly put a few items in the boat, backed down the ramp, and splashed. Not too bad, all things considered.

Motored out the river and started just inside the drop off. Basically worked between 14 and 20 feet for the entire trip.

Ran a stick bait on a flat line and put 3 colors of lead off a side planer. A fish whacked the lead core about 2 minutes in. Heavy fish. Slid the planer off and continued the slug fest. Just as I saw color, the fish made a run and I felt something pop. Operator error. Somebody didn't close the crankbait snap... Goodbye fish, goodbye CI copper bikini.

Put a CI gold bikini on and doubled checked the snap this time. Continued toward the reef and landed a nice fish. Turned and landed another.

So it went for the next 1.5 hours. Each time I hit 16 feet of water at 49 degrees, the lead core fired.

Did not get a bite on a flat line or a (snapper) torpedo diver. Leadcore with the CI gold bikini WAS the rig.

Might make it out late this afternoon.
Dilly Worm
Species: target salmon & catch togue

Re: Afternoon Report 5/10

Post by Dilly Worm »

Sorry to hear about the lost lure and fish. Seems like that sort of thing only happens when there's a real lunker on the line !

I'm intrigued, what species were these nice fish that you were catching ? Did any of them feel as big as the one that got away ?
I do not exaggerate when I talk about fishing - I underestimate, like I say "just one more cast honey, then I'll come home" !
Keep Calm and... Fish On !
Dead lake
Species: Lake trout

Post by Dead lake »

Always rig for the monster!
BlackDucks&BrownDogs

All lakers.

I'm pretty meticulous about rigging, but my eyesight has taken a nosedive the last couple of years. Even with bi-focals, I struggle seeing things up close. It's even worse with contacts, which I was wearing. I thought I felt it engage! Honest!

This evening was on fire. Lines in at 3:50 and unhooked my 10th laker at 5:50. Both rods with 3 colors of lead off a side planer. The CI gold bikini took 6 and the CI instigator took 4. Had 3 other fish come unglued before I grabbed the rod.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Good to meet you at the converse ramp a couple of weeks back.... Glad to hear you had some good action..
Matt B
BlackDucks&BrownDogs

You as well!

Three other boats were trolling inside of me. Too far away to see any activity, but they seemed to be following a pattern.
Crayfish
Species: All of them

Post by Crayfish »

Nice job! That's a fun place to fish, especially after fishing for salmon for a few weeks with as slow as it has been (for me, anyway). "Almost" guaranteed out there this time of year ... and there are some BIG lakers there.
Detritus
Species: Anything we can catch

Post by Detritus »

Glad to hear the laker bite is picking up too, believe it or not. I never fish without some kids on the boat, and Lakers are kind of like puppies. They can be annoying when you're trying to do something, and they make a mess. However, they also do a great job of keeping kids occupied and busy.

I've got a few kids on my list of people to take out fishing. One is looking to catch his first lake trout (or salmon) ever, and the others have never been fishing.

When I take kids like that out, I sometimes feel like their whole potential fishing career is in my hands on that day. I feel quite a bit of pressure to produce so they'll want to keep fishing.
"Country Angler" - '93 Trophy 2002 - Cold water boat
"Strike Three" - '04 Triton SF21 - Warm water boat
"The Dumpster" - '90 Starcraft SF14 - Camping Boat

Jack
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Detritus wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 10:11 am Glad to hear the laker bite is picking up too, believe it or not. I never fish without some kids on the boat, and Lakers are kind of like puppies. They can be annoying when you're trying to do something, and they make a mess. However, they also do a great job of keeping kids occupied and busy.

I've got a few kids on my list of people to take out fishing. One is looking to catch his first lake trout (or salmon) ever, and the others have never been fishing.

When I take kids like that out, I sometimes feel like their whole potential fishing career is in my hands on that day. I feel quite a bit of pressure to produce so they'll want to keep fishing.
Jack… that’s what it’s all about! Ya never know when you get someone hooked on the best thrill out there!

Fish on!
Matt B