Fishy 1

Fishing reports, pointers, lessons leaned from Matthew Glebus aka Fishy1
digitroll (ron)

Re: Fishy 1

Post by digitroll (ron) »

We will miss you Matt! His enthusiasm for fishing was second to none. I was very fortunate to have him along for a few trips in 2018 during Frostbite season on my vessel and a few of the man cave get togethers in January. Also was able to visit him several times over in NY during his lengthy illness. Matt was a fighter and never gave up!. God Bless Matty!.

Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Sad day indeed. The lake and upland ponds have lost a true Seward of the resource. Will forever miss the detailed adventures with all the lucky fisherpeople who were blessed enough to fish beside him. We could all benefit from being more like Matt and that has crossed my mind many times reading his stories.

The legend will live forever, and we all all fortunate to have known him.
Matt B
Windknot
Species: Trout, salmon, walleye, bass

Post by Windknot »

My friendship with Matt began right here in the forums, talking about salmon and trout fishing the tribs. His passion for the sport and sharing his experiences with others permeated through every story he shared. We would get together a few times a year in some 'secret' and not-so-secret spots and it was always a good time. The pandemic prevented us from fishing together in the last year and a half but we kept in touch on Messenger several times a month. The U.S./Canada border opened a little too late for one last visit....I was hoping to go visit him next week. But my faith tells me we will see each other again and I look forward to that time very much. Rest easy Matt. The legend of Fishy1 will live on among all of your American and Canadian friends whos lives you blessed with your kindness and generosity.
Detritus
Species: Anything we can catch

Post by Detritus »

I always admired how special the time that you spent fishing with Fishy2 obviously was to the two of you. She will always remember that.

Goodbye Matt.
"Country Angler" - '93 Trophy 2002 - Cold water boat
"Strike Three" - '04 Triton SF21 - Warm water boat
"The Dumpster" - '90 Starcraft SF14 - Camping Boat

Jack
TruViking
Species: Those who thrive in Cold H20

Post by TruViking »

Matt. When I started this thread some months back, I felt the need to thank you. Now is no different besides I will not get a Physical repkly. But I just know. That first fish on Saturday will be because of you.
If anyone in Matt's family needs anything, I am happy to help.

Rest Easy Now Matt. The Fight is Over.
keithm87
Species: Trout and Salmon

Post by keithm87 »

Though I had very limited direct interactions with Matt, I can say with certainty that he was one of a kind. This forum will never be the same, and Lake Champlain fishin FB has lost one of its greatest ambassadors, and a true legend.
Matt was so willing to share information and help those who were just getting started, his stories were great, and the fact that he has mentored so many younger people means his legacy will live on.
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

So SAD.... We all miss you Matt. You will always be remembered.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Some folks have been texting me for Matty's address to send a card to his wife Donna:

Matt Glebus
35 Jackson st.
Port Henry, NY 12974
Mr. Gill
Species: Bluegills

Post by Mr. Gill »

Thanks for that, Ron. Like others, I met Matt thru this site. A great fisherman, but more importantly, a wonderful human being.
finsntins
Species: salmon

Post by finsntins »

i met matt the first time i ever fished champlain,actually before i even got my boat in the water.i was at the launch at westport getting ready and in came a guy and pulled up next to me and we started talking fishing,he had no problem telling me places to try.it wasnt until a few weeks later did i realize on this site that it was fishy.ever since then we have shared many fishing stories.i was very fortunate this spring to meet up with matt out to lake ontario and spend an hour or so sharing more stories.he surely will be missed.RIP fishy!!!!
Miss B.Haven' sportfishing
Bearcat
Species: cold water!

Post by Bearcat »

So sorry to hear the news about such a nice man. Will miss his stories and his advice. Tight lines Matt.
Honest John
Species: All interested parties

Post by Honest John »

A true local legend... Rest in peace, Matt. Thank you for all the great reads!

I'd like to propose to the admins a new section in the forum called Fishy1's corner for shore fishing reports/pointers/lessons learned from Matt.
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

Honest John wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:42 am A true local legend... Rest in peace, Matt. Thank you for all the great reads!

I'd like to propose to the admins a new section in the forum called Fishy1's corner for shore fishing reports/pointers/lessons learned from Matt.
I'll get the ball rolling on this. Thank you for such a great idea.
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
tiogaguy
Species: bass

Post by tiogaguy »

Incredibly sad news. What a true fishing Icon!!! We never met but I felt like we had. RIP Matt.