Walleye help

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Mheinz94
Species: Bass

Walleye help

Post by Mheinz94 »

Hey guys. Been lurking for a while and decided to join. My buddies and I rent a cottage on grand isle for a few days every year(we are from Jersey) Right in the gut. We always do well on bass and pike but I've always wanted to catch a walleye. Was hoping the experts here would be able to help me out. We have no trolling gear on the bass boat so we'd be looking for some spot/lure ideas that we'd be able to cast at them. We plan on doing this after dark and would like to not have to travel too far from the gut if possible.

Any help you can give is greatly appreciated. I know walleye fisherman are pretty tight lipped(and rightly so). Thanks in advance.

Ps I'll post some reports/ pics regardless starting Saturday when we get up there.
Captain Paul
Species: lake trout,salmon,panfish

Re: Walleye help

Post by Captain Paul »

CAST CRANKBAITS AROUND THE WEED EDGES ON SHARP DROP OFFS
Mheinz94
Species: Bass

Post by Mheinz94 »

Thanks! Appreciate the reply.
keithm87
Species: Trout and Salmon

Post by keithm87 »

I have never really targeted them in that area, but have heard that the folks who do are fishing south by savage, or north by knight. Both are 5-8 miles from inside the gut, which isnt a terrible cruise in a bass boat.
Crayfish
Species: All of them

Post by Crayfish »

I would think you could find them west of the Gut around Sisters shoal. At night, look for steep drop offs. They could be suspended over deep water.

My son and I also caught one last weekend around Colchester Point at night, but that's a bit of a trek from the Gut. We were trolling deep divers in 15-60ft of water after dark.

Good luck!
Bulldogbish
Species: Salmon, Lakers

Post by Bulldogbish »

Walleyes are ghosts! We were lucky enough to get a big one during the LCI this year but tough to target them with limited time in the area. We caught two this year, one big one and one 5lber a 1/4" short to weigh in. Big one was a fluke but got the other trolling a crank along the shore in 20' along a sandy point with rocks on either side. The smallies are easier to target and fight a little better but the elusiveness of the walleye are what make it fun, for us anyway! Good luck!