jigging lakers with targav18

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
fishy1
Species: many species

jigging lakers with targav18

Post by fishy1 »

8/5/2018 jimmer invited me to go laker fishing a little different this time instead of trolling we would be jigging up lakers. this seems to be a hot sport now. he had asked me several times this time i could make. it. we headed up to the broad lake area and launched in willsboro crossed the lake and hit a hump that went from 320 fow to 92 fow. his hummingbird fish finder lit up with lakers on the bottom. we started jigging at 6 am with a good chop on the water. and bill who came along hooked up soon after and landed a nice laker about the 10 or 11 lb range unhooked it in the water and released it. as it was swimming out of the net i felt a tremendous jolt to my rod and fish on and the drag just zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzing. reeled it up slowly and had fun with it and i land a nice laker about 12 lbs. decided to keep this one for a freind for dinner. dropped back down and bang fish on another one bill says i got one to matt. i told jimmer the netter :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: get bills ill hold this one down there after a few minutes they got bills off and released it i brought mine up with still lots of fight left . just as jimmer was going to net it got unhooked by himself and went straight to the bottom . i told jimmer i guess im going to like this . in about 1 hour i had 13 hits landed 6 lost 3 at the boat and missed 4. now for the stunner i got 12 of the 13 hits on the way down after the jig. i used my ice jigging method instead of letting it down slowly after jigging up i let it drop with the 1.5 ounce jig lure fast and they were attacking it we then left that spot searching other spots on this part of the broad lake. we didnt do well as i had the only 2 hits and the chop was getting worse so we headed in. i was very happy with my jigging experience and thanked jimmer for inviting me. i got to see my old stomping grounds 4 brothers islands right close and they were loaded with cormorants and dead trees ugh.
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Re: jigging lakers with targav18

Post by C-Hawk »

Here's Matt's pics
Attachments
8852.jpeg
8852.jpeg (93.13 KiB) Viewed 1274 times
8855.jpeg
8855.jpeg (92.26 KiB) Viewed 1274 times
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

That's a nice laker Matt. Looks like you all had a great time on the water. Keep posting.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
troutcrazy
Species: crappie, trout, salmon, perch

Post by troutcrazy »

:lol: Did it even fit in the cooler?
Nice catch!
Sounds like a good time! I think it's pretty amazing to see so many big marks on the fishfinder when you get on top of a pile of lakers.

Holy cow there were a lot of boats out there today. Sure was nice before the clouds burned off, though!
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

troutcrazy wrote::lol: Did it even fit in the cooler?
Nice catch!
Sounds like a good time! I think it's pretty amazing to see so many big marks on the fishfinder when you get on top of a pile of lakers.

Holy cow there were a lot of boats out there today. Sure was nice before the clouds burned off, though!
it was curled up in the cooler wouldnt fit in mine in the car.
those cormorants up there need to be thinned out cant beleive what they did to those islands.
yes lots of boats and 3 foot waves.
Sawyer
Species: All

Post by Sawyer »

how did you keep the boat in one spot or did you drift?
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Sawyer wrote:how did you keep the boat in one spot or did you drift?
jimmer has a trolling motor that keeps you in the same spot. i think its called pro troll
Vtmopar
Species: Everything

Post by Vtmopar »

Nice laker.
You eat those? How do you prepare them?
Ive tried eating champlain lakers and not had good luck with a way to enjoy them.
High Plains Drifter
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Vtmopar wrote:Nice laker.
You eat those? How do you prepare them?
Ive tried eating champlain lakers and not had good luck with a way to enjoy them.
i dont eat them but lots do. i saved that one for a freind who frys them up like my son. i never tried them fried but i dont like them on the grill or baked. have ate one in years but some tell me they arnt bad eating now since the alewifes got here.
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

Skylander ( Joey) has been cooking them on charcoal with a light smoke, whole and everyone loves them.
Vtmopar
Species: Everything

Post by Vtmopar »

C-Hawk wrote:Skylander ( Joey) has been cooking them on charcoal with a light smoke, whole and everyone loves them.
Ill have to give that a try.
High Plains Drifter
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

jeff im going to give some lakers to joey so everyone can have some including me at camp skyland got to try it.
Norski
Species: salmon

Post by Norski »

Cooking trout the Scandinvian way!
Try a fish boil. Place potatoes, onions, salt, pepper, and a bay leaf in a pot of water to boil. When the potatoes are almost cooked, add chunks of Lake Trout and boil for another 10 minutes. Drain. Serve with melted butter.
Norski on Sea Nymph 1
Bulldogbish
Species: Salmon, Lakers

Post by Bulldogbish »

That sounds like a blast! Pretty consistent action. Sounds like you could use fluke jigs?

I make backala (spelling?) with the lakers. Usually done with salted cod, its a fun way to eat it, could really make it with any fish so its more of a tradition to use lakers.