12/8/14 frostbite river fishing updated 10/31/2017

Fishing reports, pointers, lessons leaned from Matthew Glebus aka Fishy1
fishy1
Species: many species

Re: 12/8/14 frostbite river fishing, pics added 12/20/2015

Post by fishy1 »

12/27/2015 got to the river at 7 am and hit my ist plan of the day and noone there. so i called wayne and told him where i was. matt was fishing another tributary and would be heading our way later. 4th cast i land a nice but small 17 inch brown. fish surfacing right in front of me so i kept targeting that area and it was on the inside of the faster water. approx 15 minutes later fish on and it shook loose on 2nd flight. the rain is starting to come down harder and the temperature dropping and wayne showed up. fishing slowed and had a few hits but no takers. around 10 am my bobber stopped and then went down under started to pull and thought i was hung up on bottom but in seconds my pole started bouncing wildly with a fish just shaking and trying to get loose which it did. wayne and i both were stunned as i was sure i was hooked on bottom. wayne said that big one he lost saturday was the same and it took him awhile to get it to move. both of us wet so we decided to try another spot down in the unrestricted waters. got there called matt and told him we had moved and what his location was . he was on the lake laker fishing. i decided to take a short cut down the river down a steep bank and i paid. fell very hard and landed on my back and neck. fished for awhile with one hit and decided to leave as the temperature was dropping and it now was 32 degrees. was wet and muddy and left and found matt a short while later at another tributary . talked with him and said i was going home and might stop at laker heavan ist. matt was sticking it out in new waters and said he would let me know later of his results.
Matt
Species: Any

Post by Matt »

fishy1 wrote:12/27/2015 got to the river at 7 am and hit my ist plan of the day and noone there. so i called wayne and told him where i was. matt was fishing another tributary and would be heading our way later. 4th cast i land a nice but small 17 inch brown. fish surfacing right in front of me so i kept targeting that area and it was on the inside of the faster water. approx 15 minutes later fish on and it shook loose on 2nd flight. the rain is starting to come down harder and the temperature dropping and wayne showed up. fishing slowed and had a few hits but no takers. around 10 am my bobber stopped and then went down under started to pull and thought i was hung up on bottom but in seconds my pole started bouncing wildly with a fish just shaking and trying to get loose which it did. wayne and i both were stunned as i was sure i was hooked on bottom. wayne said that big one he lost saturday was the same and it took him awhile to get it to move. both of us wet so we decided to try another spot down in the unrestricted waters. got there called matt and told him we had moved and what his location was . he was on the lake laker fishing. i decided to take a short cut down the river down a steep bank and i paid. fell very hard and landed on my back and neck. fished for awhile with one hit and decided to leave as the temperature was dropping and it now was 32 degrees. was wet and muddy and left and found matt a short while later at another tributary . talked with him and said i was going home and might stop at laker heavan ist. matt was sticking it out in new waters and said he would let me know later of his results.
I didn't have much luck on the new water. Seems the salmon don't stay as long over there so I went to salmon city. Two fish on and off in seconds. Nobody around and then all of a sudden 4 guys surrounding me. One guy with a spey rod low holed me and I whacked a nice male on a streamer right in front of him. He got out of the water from my right and tries to sneak in behind me to my left. He pretty much walked right into my back cast and almost took a fly to the face....smart move. Older guy and another guy with his young son all throwing weighted jig heads with rubber worms on them. Fishing a no weight zone... got a nice kick out of what they were doing. Was especially funny when they would cross my fly line in the water and act like nothing was wrong. Had to confront them and told them it wasn't legal what they were using. They tried telling me a warden said it was legal - yeah yeah sure sure. Didn't feel like staying much longer so I headed home after realizing some people actually fool themselves into beleiving what theyre doing is OK. Spent the morning looking for steel in all the wrong places. Did find a bunch of wild rainbows though....
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

the special regulations for 4 tributaries read as follows.
maximum hook gap 1/2 inch fishing prohibited 1/2 hour after sunset and 1/2 hour before sunrise.
fishing permitted with unweighted artificial flies and unweighted natural baits only.
these regulations are set from june 15 to december 31.
this is on the new york side of the lake.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

since im grounded for a couple of days because of my fall on the river sunday i had wayne give me a call with his results. wayne got to the river around 10 am and had the river to himself. wayne landed 2 nice salmon 1 23 and 1/2 inches and the other 26 inches and lost 3 . he said the fight was great and the fish didnt want any part of the shore line. good job wayne.
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

Hope you rebound soon, Matt, we are all getting too used to your daily reports. I guess the fish won't miss you!
Hairbone
Species: Bluegill

Post by Hairbone »

Get better Matt!
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

got out this morning on one of my favorite fishing holes ist time since last sundays fall. met matt and wayne on the river and there were 3 on the hole when we got there but stuck it out. ron an avid fisherman moved out in the very cold water with his waders and let me in the ist spot and matt took the end spot past the other 2 fisherman. they had landed one when i got there. wayne got there later and waited out the 2 fisherman when they left and joined matt and i. i had a few hits but nothing really being aggressive. then i started getting hits and stealing my crawlers with no takers wayne and matt wernt doing much. a little while later i finally hooked one and land a small male salmon. wasnt 2 minutes later and wayne says fish on. he lands a female salmon. then before we get even set up matt says fish on and he lands a nice salmon. from that point until i left at 11:30 am it was non stop action for us. i kept getting bobber stoppers but not many takers and when i did hook them off they came. at one point i had 3 or 4 hits in succession and couldnt hook into them then matt lost one and his fly ended up on top of tree and he was trying to get it off. i was a little slow with the camera he got it off just before i could film that fishing blooper. he came over and talked and left and i think before he even got back 10 yards from me i bobber stopped and started dancing and fish on. i landed a nice salmon. then shortly after that matt landed another one a real nice one with only a half of a lower jaw. i had to leave at 11:30 am and matt left 30 minutes later and wayne left to scout some new waters for the weekend. i landed 2 salmon lost 4 wayne landed 1 and i think lost 2 and matt landed 4 and not sure how many he lost but it was several. i had the most hits but the fish just wernt aggressive although i used over 20 crawlers this morning. a fun time on the river today with 2 great guys. 3 or 4 bloopers today i lost my small crappie bobber and matt trying to retrieve it with his fly and twice matt lost fish that sent his fly up in the trees. all fish were released. Image

Matt

Post by Matt »

Fun day on the water! Right after wayne left I made a few casts and hooked up again but was fiddling with something in my bag when I noticed my indicator stop so I gave it a half-hearted tug and the fish took off downstream and the fly pulled out. Less than 6 drifts later I hooked another nice female and landed her before heading home. She took to the air 3 or 4 times!

Always fun to have company on the river, especially when people start telling stories! It's a new year and we've got a few salmon under our belt! Hoping to take my brother out tomorrow so he can get a few.
jack lv
Species: cast rode

Post by jack lv »

Good report. Good day. And good weather too at the first day of new year.
The weather not so cold I guess. So still can out. How about February? It'll 10 degree and even 0 degree. It'll too cold to rolling the rod....
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

It's a pleasure to read you guys had a good time spending the first day of the year catching fish (or trees).
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

1/2/2016 a wild day on the river with matt his brother and his sisters boy freind and wayne coming in later. i was the ist one there with my coffee in hand and right behind me was matt and company and 2 other guys already on the river. i made room for nate next to me since he had a spinning rod and set up the same as me and matt just enjoyed the show at ist guiding his sisters boy freind. started off slow then got wild for nate and i seemed like every other cast we had hits and fish on only to lose them. then i lost a pretty good one and nate also while i was putting on a crawler nate yells matt need the net and he lands a nice chunky salmon. then matt grabs a fly pole and goes out in his waders a little later and bang fish on. it was just crazy those fish were attacking everything. wayne came and went up river a ways since there wasnt much room. went looking for him later since he didnt come back and he wasnt there. tried my luck there anyhow and 2nd cast a nice 20 inch female salmon. then awhile later had a real nice fish on it busted water and my line was hung up on rocks or something and snapped my line. then wayne came back up and found me and said he got a nice brown and that was it. fished awhile then went to lunch and did some grocery shopping and decided to check back at the river at around 3 pm. walked down to the river and matt and company were on the other side just catching fish one right after another. since i dont have waders i stayed put and missed a few . then i got into one and then another this time a nice fat female. matt nate and his sisters boy freind were heading home i told them im fishing until dark and i did. landed 2 more nice salmon lost 3 and missed several. all together today for me i landed 5 and lost to many to count and used almost 3 packs of crawlers. a wild day on the river. i kind of lost tract of everything so im hoping matt will continue todays events a little better and he is supposed to also post the pics. here is nate getting ready to release one. got a text from matt they landed 11 and had 20 on. matts words were what a day.

here is nate with a nice salmon

my ist salmon landed this morning.

Last edited by fishy1 on Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:12 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Registered Kayak
Species: Salmon and the rest

Post by Registered Kayak »

One crazy good day i read!! cool
im going out tomorrow on the pond, hope to have the luck you had haha.
Im going to record me and my buddy's trolling underwater, will post on here if i can.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Wow, what a day we had yesterday....

The water was up but very fishable. I took my brother and friend Jerry out on the water to start 2016 off right, and that we did. We spread out, and I held off on fishing until they got into fish first. My brother hooked up twice in the first 15 minutes while I worked with Jerry. I look over and see my brothers rod bent over with a smile on his face. We walk over and watch him fight the fish "zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz" it makes a long run and we all start smiling from ear to ear. A big 26" male (Matt posted the release above)

Well, Nate started things off the right way! Matt left to find Wayne shortly after and we had the river to ourselves for a few hours. As Jerry took a quick break from the frigid water, I grabbed his rod and waded out to fish a confluence. First cast....yoink! Fish on. I couldn't help but to rub it in, "Oh man, Jerry, this rod fights fish really well don't you think?"

Alright, lunch time! We ran into Wayne on our way out and he was behind two Canadians that took over our spot. He was about 20 seconds too late!

After coffee and some burgers we headed upstream determined to get Jerry his fish. After fishing a promising looking run for almost an hour without even a bump, we hopped in the car and off we went. We ran into Matt and Wayne in the next spot and chatted for a bit. Jerry started fishing some water that most people would look at and not think twice about wetting a line in. His second or third cast and I heard a salmon break water only to look over and notice it was attached to Jerry's line. This fish meant business, and it took off towards the middle of the river and wouldn't come any closer. The look of determination on his face was priceless. I couldn't help but to laugh. It took him a while but he finally got it close enough so that I could net it. Mission accomplished! We celebrated and then got back to fishing but couldn't get another tug for about an hour or so. Back to the car again! We still had a few hours of light left, so we decided to fish on the other side of the river from the first spot where Nate landed his big fish. We all slid down a steep, snow-covered hill through the woods and found ourselves in the right spot after a short walk. The water, even at a higher flow, was looking great in this spot. I rigged Jerry appropriately for the flow and depth, and then helped Nate with his spinning setup. Jerry had first go - and hooked into a beastly salmon right off. It stayed on just long enough to come to the surface and show itself before throwing the fly. A monster 8 lber with a tale the size of a dinner plate...oh sweet mother!!

For the next 1 1/2 hours, we had a BLAST!! The fish were HOT and HEAVY and it seemed like every other drift we were getting fish on. We had multiple doubles, and then Jerry hooks a fish that runs straight across the river and digs down deep. I could tell right away it wasn't a salmon. Sure enough, it was a gorgeous brown! As we are getting all of these fish, Matt showed up on the other side and got into fish of his own. We were all having a fish bonanza on both sides of the river!

A little while after that, I hooked into a brown right out of a magazine. Orange as the sunset with length and girth to boot (26-27") and did I mention it was a football? All good things must come to an end, and sometimes that end is sooner than you want it to be. The brown decided to, "end" that fight early and shook my fly out. I was devastated...But no worries, the fish were still on fire! We had 2x hookups and landed about 9 fish in that short window. All 3 of us had such an awesome time, I'll never forget it and I'm sure they won't either. It's days like that that I live for.

Hairbone
Species: Bluegill

Post by Hairbone »

Great report guys! Looks like we are headed for another great year of fishing!
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

By the time you guys get done playing with all these fish, no one else will be able to hook up because their jaws will be rock hard from scar tissue