12/8/14 frostbite river fishing updated 10/31/2017

Fishing reports, pointers, lessons leaned from Matthew Glebus aka Fishy1
fishy1
Species: many species

Re: 12/8/14 frostbite river fishing, pics added 12/20/2015

Post by fishy1 »

talked to matt last night before hitting the river with the added rain and the river rising on a plan. set out this morning with that plan in mind but never got to the final part of the plan ist hole i hit it was very foggy and the water was alot swifter than previous but i stayed 2 and half hours with just 1 hit. so i decided to go to matts plan but stopped and checked out my 2nd option and noone was there. out came the rod and down i went . 3rd cast fish on landed a nice 22 inch female salmon then from 10 am to 12 :15 pm it was steady action almost unbelievable. i landed 4 3 nice salmon 22 inches and on with the biggest 24 inch plus and a real nice 22 inch male brown. lost 6 salmon one was at least 26 inch plus and missed to many and lost count. the fish wernt aggressive at all they would just stop my bobber in the swift water and hold it there without pulling the little tiny crappie bobber under. never knew if i had them hooked at all until i would retrieve. the brown was the only one that gave my bobber a ride as he headed up river. the fisherman came and went but noone else landed a fish. one guy across the river earlier landed a nice 5 or 6 lb brown the only hit he had. a strange day but a great day for me in the fog. Image
ImageImage
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Looks like you had another wonderful time by the water. When you loose count of the bites, it cannot get any better.
Thanks for sharing your adventure with us, as most of us are stuck at work.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
jack lv
Species: cast rode

Post by jack lv »

Good job matt. Another wonderful day at river.
I've already at home Ningbo CN in early morning 12:20 AM local time. What I can do now is only to see the forum and can't fishing again. Hope to see everybody's nice fishing report.
Gecha (Gerry)

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

jack lv wrote:Good job matt. Another wonderful day at river.
I've already at home Ningbo CN in early morning 12:20 AM local time. What I can do now is only to see the forum and can't fishing again. Hope to see everybody's nice fishing report.
Jack, Glad you made it safely home back in China.
We really appreciated your posts and comments during your stay in Champlain. You were a true fisherman.
I am sure you have a lot of stories to tell your friends and family.
Hope you have a chance to come back again and continue your fishing experience.

Happy Holidays.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

jack lv wrote:Good job matt. Another wonderful day at river.
hi jacK:
glad you made it home safely that was a long trip. our freind wayne fished along side me but didnt catch any he had only one on. we have decided to hit the river again this morning and ill have to come home early. i think wayne misses your kindness and fun loving nature. i pm,d you my email address feel free anytime to drop me a email.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

12/24/2015 christmas eve had to pick up some things for home that just happened to be near a river so i brought my steelhead/salmon rod along. the ist hole i hit at 7:15 am was filled with fisherman so i went up river to another spot. called wayne and said i could fish for 3 hours and where i was. the water was swift there this morning but i was going to sit it out for the 3 hours. ist 15 minutes 3 bites and no takers . then a short while later bobber down fish on did his flight thing and went on his way. short while later fish on again heading up river with incredible speed singing my drag did 3 or 4 leaps and off he came. a real beast and what i saw of it was a male salmon that was at least 28 inches. a fish that i would have liked to land. about 5 minutes later wayne showed up and it was 8:30 am and i was telling him about the big one busting me off. he said theres bigger and you will get one. wayne has tough luck lately and i wanted him to catch a fish. we separated a little and wayne had bobber down but came up empty. then my line stopped and heads up river and a nice male salmon just dancing on the river and fish on . took awhile to land this nice 23 and 1/2 inch salmon after 6 leaps out of the water. what a battle and wayne was just amazed that this fish just wouldnt give up. after that it cooled for awhile when wayne yells fish on. wayne finally lands a female salmon and his jinx is over. then the bite really cooled down for the next hour and even though we got hits no takers. then about 15 minutes or so before i had to leave my line stopped bobber still up and then it heads right up river right where wayne is i yell fish on its coming your way. the salmon got about half way between wayne and i and had to leap at least 2 to 3 feet straight up and back down and then headed back down river right by me and again it did his flight thing . as i got it close to shore wayne came down and grabbed the net i told him there was a lamprey on it and i wanted to take care of it. i also noticed a big portion of a gill showing. just as i got her near shore she started dancing airborn and off went the lamprey. finally landed her and she was 24 and 3/4 inch salmon. part of her gill plate was ripped off her and towards the tail was fresh hook signs that looked like treble hooks where she had been foul hooked to. it didnt look good so i kept her and will give the flesh to my brother. had a great day and waiting to hear from wayne and he went to gander mtn and was heading back to another river. those fish today were in a fighting mood and was a great fun morning. just heard from wayne he landed another one and lost one then he had to leave wind gusts and tree branches falling.
Last edited by fishy1 on Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

pics 12/24Image
photos upload/2015
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

wayne finImageally lands one.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

12/24/2015 a beat up female salmon with a lamprey hole part of a gill plate ripped off and hook marks on the back and side towards the tail. Image
Hairbone
Species: Bluegill

Post by Hairbone »

Great post as usual Matt!
Gecha (Gerry)

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Thanks Matt for your posts and pics. We all love reading your daily outings. It's the best thing we have for not being near the water. Enjoy your Christmas holidays.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

spent christmas day home with my family and our 2 granddaughters alayna 5 and emily 3 months old and had a great time and we even took time to watch fishing bloopers which alayna loves. this morning 12/26 it was time to hit a river again. got on the river at 7:15 am or so and walked up river to a spot between 2 trees with smooth water. called wayne and told him where i would be if he wanted to join me. started out with a hit 3rd or 4th cast but no taker. then a short while later my little bobber started to come towards me slowly instead of down with the current then it turned slowly and headed up the shore line within 2 feet of shore tightend up the slack and fish on. busted water and was on his way up river and came off. never had a hit like that in any river before. it looked like a good brown but wasnt positive. matt called and said he didnt do well for steelies so was coming down to join us on the river. then 2 more hits and misses. wayne showed up and i lost another one and had a couple more hits and wayne and i talked about going down river in the non restricted river and throw some krocodiles so down we went. we wernt there to long and wayne yells down fish on a big one. wayne fought it for awhile and it came off. a few minutes later he yells down fish on and then again he loses it. just as he loses it i yell fish on got it close to shore and it shakes loose. we talk it over and decide to cross the river and fish the faster currents. we have a slow start so we spread out and i go up river and fish on landed a nice female salmon. left the net in the car and was holding the salmon by the tail in the water and trying to get a pic with my camera with my other hand got the camera turned on and the salmon starts thrashing and i let it go before snapping a pic. have another hit and fish on and it shakes loose. 10 minutes later i have another hit and fish on and its shakes loose. getting about noon then so i head down towards wayne and he hadnt had a hit when suddenly he says fish on and a fighter. struggled with it for awhile finally got it to shore and just when we were going to land it off it comes. wayne said i guess we should have brought the net and i followed up and said your drag was tight. he forgot to set his drag after his braided line balled up. we didnt have a good hook sets today but still had fun even though we had 8 shake offs. left around 1 pm called matt and told him where we were and the bite was on . wayne and i went home and waiting now for matt to let me know how he did. wayne was using a hammered silver kroc and i had on a silver kroc.
Last edited by fishy1 on Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Surprise
Species: FROSTBITING

Post by Surprise »

YOU ARE A FISHING MANIAC!

I see you are wearing your new LUCKY hat. I hope some of this water and "Maybe " cooling temps might just send some of those NICE salmon and Browns back into the lake where we can just feel the pull too! :D

I won't be out till after the New Year because Inventory and Year End. No Chance of Freeze Out This year. Maybe we should get Hawaiian Print Life Jackets Too!
Fish On!
Matt
Species: Any

Post by Matt »

Long day for me. Took my brother out to fish after I bought him waders and wading boots for xmas. Looked for steel in the AM and he landed a small brown and a small steelhead maybe 15" Weighed our options and decided to head over to where Matt was. Got the scoop from him and hit the river. I let my brother fish mostly since I wanted him to get into one. Didn't take long and his rod was bent over and drag was clicking. I ran over and netted it. Average size fish and he was super happy. We got crowded after that and took off to another spot only to have a guy show up a minute before us. Long walk back to the car and another spot change. Found open water and Nate hooked up second cast into a feisty roller that did barrel rolls for the whole fight. Netted it for him which was an average 21-22" fish. Matt called and we headed out shortly after to go check it out. We fished for an hour and didn't get a hit so we spent the last hour where we first started and I fished downstream and landed one myself which was a below average size. Good fight though! Nothing like feeling a fish slam a swung nymph!!
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Surprise wrote:YOU ARE A FISHING MANIAC!

I see you are wearing your new LUCKY hat. I hope some of this water and "Maybe " cooling temps might just send some of those NICE salmon and Browns back into the lake where we can just feel the pull too! :D

I won't be out till after the New Year because Inventory and Year End. No Chance of Freeze Out This year. Maybe we should get Hawaiian Print Life Jackets Too!
love my lucky hat and have had lots of great comments on it. maybe ill add fishing maniac to the hat. ha ha the new year is right around the corner.