Bushway busted fishin up hatchery brook.

Share info on fishing Champlain.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Bushway busted fishin up hatchery brook.

Post by Reelax »

CH3 news had a story yesterday about a person finally getting busted fishing up hatchery brook. It said he Was facing multiple charges after being busted by vermont F&G... They even had a picture of him in court. Finally!

http://www.wcax.com/story/30813109/form ... h-poaching

https://www.facebook.com/lakechamplaini ... =3&theater

From the story is sounds like he was spearing salmon at night, and smoking them.
Matt
Species: Any

Re: Bushway busted fishin up hatchery brook.

Post by Matt »

One down, dozens to go. Hope he gets jail time.
Captain Paul
Species: lake trout,salmon,panfish

Post by Captain Paul »

The article I read said he was spearing Salmon in Hatchery Brook deserves everything he gets
TUnamas

Post by TUnamas »

It just happened over on the Saranac too....

PLATTSBURGH — Two Clinton County men are facing charges for poaching spawning trout and salmon from the Saranac River in the city of Plattsburgh.

According to Clinton County, state Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) Regional Director Bob Stegemann, the two men allegedly used an illegal fishing technique known as “snagging” to poach the fish.
“This type of illegal activity threatens the increasing salmon population and reduces fishing opportunities for lawful anglers,” Stegemann said. “DEC Environmental Conservation Police Officers (ECOs) will continue their efforts to seek out and arrest poachers to put an end to these illegal practices. Protection of New York State’s fish and wildlife resources is an important mission for DEC.”

Conservation officers arrested 38-year-old Joshua Todd and 34-year-old Christopher J. Dumas, both of Plattsburgh, on Tuesday, Dec. 15. The two men used an illegal fishing technique known as “snagging,” which involves dragging a weighted hook through the water until it gets embedded into the body of a fish. The men are charged with taking fish by means other than angling and Dumas is also charged with fishing without a license.

“When salmon and brown trout come into rivers to spawn it is often in shallow areas where they can be seen – sometimes even with their backs and dorsal fins breaking the water’s surface,” DEC Region 5 Fisheries Manager Lance Durfey said. “This makes them vulnerable to illegal fishing techniques.”

The Saranac River is one of 10 New York and Vermont tributaries to Lake Champlain, which historically had native runs of Atlantic salmon. They vanished from Champlain by the mid-1800s and, until the 1950’s, periodic restoration attempts failed. Encouraging results from some of the stream stocking of young salmon in the 1950’s led to full scale salmon restoration work in the Boquet River in 1973. Efforts to control Sea Lamprey in 1990 further enhanced trout and salmon populations.
A primary indicator of strengthening salmon populations is annual spawning runs. DEC staff observed good fall runs in the Ausable River, Boquet River and especially the Saranac River. It’s a great sign for these fish populations, the health of Lake Champlain, anglers, and the economic health of local communities that see the benefit from improved fishing opportunities, Stegemann said.

Rich Redman, president of the Lake Champlain Chapter of Trout Unlimited said, “This is great news for every law-abiding angler in the North Country. It’s great to see the salmon back, and DEC protecting them.”
Todd and Dumas are scheduled to appear in the city of Plattsburgh local criminal court on Tuesday, Jan. 5. They both face fines.
Matt

Post by Matt »

TUnamas wrote:It just happened over on the Saranac too....

PLATTSBURGH — Two Clinton County men are facing charges for poaching spawning trout and salmon from the Saranac River in the city of Plattsburgh.

According to Clinton County, state Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) Regional Director Bob Stegemann, the two men allegedly used an illegal fishing technique known as “snagging” to poach the fish.
“This type of illegal activity threatens the increasing salmon population and reduces fishing opportunities for lawful anglers,” Stegemann said. “DEC Environmental Conservation Police Officers (ECOs) will continue their efforts to seek out and arrest poachers to put an end to these illegal practices. Protection of New York State’s fish and wildlife resources is an important mission for DEC.”

Conservation officers arrested 38-year-old Joshua Todd and 34-year-old Christopher J. Dumas, both of Plattsburgh, on Tuesday, Dec. 15. The two men used an illegal fishing technique known as “snagging,” which involves dragging a weighted hook through the water until it gets embedded into the body of a fish. The men are charged with taking fish by means other than angling and Dumas is also charged with fishing without a license.

“When salmon and brown trout come into rivers to spawn it is often in shallow areas where they can be seen – sometimes even with their backs and dorsal fins breaking the water’s surface,” DEC Region 5 Fisheries Manager Lance Durfey said. “This makes them vulnerable to illegal fishing techniques.”

The Saranac River is one of 10 New York and Vermont tributaries to Lake Champlain, which historically had native runs of Atlantic salmon. They vanished from Champlain by the mid-1800s and, until the 1950’s, periodic restoration attempts failed. Encouraging results from some of the stream stocking of young salmon in the 1950’s led to full scale salmon restoration work in the Boquet River in 1973. Efforts to control Sea Lamprey in 1990 further enhanced trout and salmon populations.
A primary indicator of strengthening salmon populations is annual spawning runs. DEC staff observed good fall runs in the Ausable River, Boquet River and especially the Saranac River. It’s a great sign for these fish populations, the health of Lake Champlain, anglers, and the economic health of local communities that see the benefit from improved fishing opportunities, Stegemann said.

Rich Redman, president of the Lake Champlain Chapter of Trout Unlimited said, “This is great news for every law-abiding angler in the North Country. It’s great to see the salmon back, and DEC protecting them.”
Todd and Dumas are scheduled to appear in the city of Plattsburgh local criminal court on Tuesday, Jan. 5. They both face fines.

Good riddance. I've seen a few snaggers over there already. Guess I have to program not just the VT warden but the NY one in my phone too.
Black Ghost (Ken)
Species: Salmon et al

Post by Black Ghost (Ken) »

It seems rather stupid to do it right there at Hatchery Brook.
Black Ghost (Ken)
bagman
Species: trout

Post by bagman »

That brook , the mouth and the area around it should all be closed to fishing. I find it ridiculous that it is even allowed especially if one takes a little time to explore the trib fishing that is developing on the lake
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

bagman wrote:That brook , the mouth and the area around it should all be closed to fishing. I find it ridiculous that it is even allowed especially if one takes a little time to explore the trib fishing that is developing on the lake

I agree 100% the whole area should be off limits. He was going way up steam and spearing them at 1am... Some sportsman
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

I can't believe all the positive posts on the Islander Facebook page . Seems that many people don't regard fish and game laws as important. Just because the guy was a public official , he should get a pass on this ? Ridiculous! If I were a Grand Isle taxpayer, I'd want to look into what else this guy was up to. People in public positions actually need to be looked at in a brighter light.
charlietuna
Species: What ever will bite

Post by charlietuna »

So from what I can gather from a few phone calls and such, as I am a newbie to this state. "Hatchery Brook" as it is called is really a discharge flow created when the Ed Weed hatchery was built? The "Brook" Is fed by a 12 inch pipe that pumps water back out and down to Champlain. The "Brook" is roughly a few hundred yards long. There are many, many returning spawning fish that go up this water flow to try to spawn, and F&W capture milk the spawners to help reproduction for the hatchery?

So, how come the whole area, including some parts of Champlain, are not OFF limits to fishing this area?

As far as the guy spearing? The report said it "appeared" that the fish were speared. Although no "spear" was recovered.
It goes on to say that the guy claims he caught them with his hands?
I am not familiar with the area. Could this guy caught fish with his hands? No matter he still broke the law. I am just baffled at WTH is going on? The article says there have been issues in the past? Why not make it off limits?

Sorry for all of the questions. But since being able to enjoy Lake Champlain and her bounty and beauty. I would like to know how to help preserve her.

Thank you for listening to my rant.

CT
Matt

Post by Matt »

charlietuna wrote:So from what I can gather from a few phone calls and such, as I am a newbie to this state. "Hatchery Brook" as it is called is really a discharge flow created when the Ed Weed hatchery was built? The "Brook" Is fed by a 12 inch pipe that pumps water back out and down to Champlain. The "Brook" is roughly a few hundred yards long. There are many, many returning spawning fish that go up this water flow to try to spawn, and F&W capture milk the spawners to help reproduction for the hatchery?

So, how come the whole area, including some parts of Champlain, are not OFF limits to fishing this area?

As far as the guy spearing? The report said it "appeared" that the fish were speared. Although no "spear" was recovered.
It goes on to say that the guy claims he caught them with his hands?
I am not familiar with the area. Could this guy caught fish with his hands? No matter he still broke the law. I am just baffled at WTH is going on? The article says there have been issues in the past? Why not make it off limits?

Sorry for all of the questions. But since being able to enjoy Lake Champlain and her bounty and beauty. I would like to know how to help preserve her.

Thank you for listening to my rant.

CT

State uses the pond because of the constant cool temps to raise salmon and also collect spawning adults to use them for that purpose. The "brook" which is probably 5? CFS is off limits but the surrounding lake is not for whatever reason. Maybe because it's considered public property and whatnot. Many many people will fish the lake where the brook runs in which is usually snagger heaven. Sometimes 100 salmon will be staged in front of the stream ready to make their 100 yard journey.

They're harvested by the hundreds before ever making their return upstream and as you can see some are even taken out of the stream. Mind boggling that there isn't something done to protect those fish more. Since they're used for future generations, doesn't that mean the more fish the state gets to collect the better? The state collected 1200 this year. Wonder how many were snagged and thrown into someone's freezer before the state got their hands on them.
flyguy
Species: atlantic salmon

Post by flyguy »

Guys (and Gals), Hey, I sometimes have fished the area near the outlet myself. Always legal, legit, and ethically. I have caught two salmon there in six years on Miramichi salmon flies. Never had any luck with anything else. These flies are tied to catch non-feeding, returning, anadromous salmon. Not a highly productive pastime, but fun, never the less. Just "rising" a fish is a ton of fun for me, even without a "take". Why endeavor to shut that off to ethical and careful fishermen (I have never taken one out of the water to release it), just because a couple of #$%holes can't seem to behave properly? How about just we strive to institute a FFO designation to the water there, with "no take" and barbless hooks?
Matt

Post by Matt »

flyguy wrote:Guys (and Gals), Hey, I sometimes have fished the area near the outlet myself. Always legal, legit, and ethically. I have caught two salmon there in six years on Miramichi salmon flies. Never had any luck with anything else. These flies are tied to catch non-feeding, returning, anadromous salmon. Not a highly productive pastime, but fun, never the less. Just "rising" a fish is a ton of fun for me, even without a "take". Why endeavor to shut that off to ethical and careful fishermen (I have never taken one out of the water to release it), just because a couple of #$%holes can't seem to behave properly? How about just we strive to institute a FFO designation to the water there, with "no take" and barbless hooks?
The handful of ethical fishermen that fish that area of the Lake is far outweighed by the number of hacks that try to snag fish from what I've seen. I've visited the lake a dozen times but only fished it a few times. It sucks there isn't a way to get the hatchery on a river where fish have a better chance at dodging a 2 oz kastmaster. The problem with those salmon in front of the brook is that there is only a tiny amount of current to work with. You've got guys high sticking fish with nymphs and the current doesn't move their flies naturally so of course they're forced to pull the line where they want it to go and before you know it one of their 2 nymphs is in the side of a fish whether they meant to do it or not. Those fish can absolutely be caught legally - but foul hooking a dozen fish just to get one to take is no fun for me. Sure I could toss unweighted traditional streamer for fish but why do that and catch one fish per week when I can fish the rivers and catch a dozen.

I say catch and release would solve the majority of the problem. The harvesters won't go anymore and the state gets to collect more spawners.
Registered Kayak
Species: Salmon and the rest

Post by Registered Kayak »

C-Hawk wrote:I can't believe all the positive posts on the Islander Facebook page . Seems that many people don't regard fish and game laws as important. Just because the guy was a public official , he should get a pass on this ? Ridiculous! If I were a Grand Isle taxpayer, I'd want to look into what else this guy was up to. People in public positions actually need to be looked at in a brighter light.
Yeah i know right?!?!
these stories remind me of d bags that would go to the buskin river in Kodiak with alabama treble rigs and haul out a coho while everyone else is trying their best to be a sportsman and get a rise. it wasnt easy, but it was worth every hour of it.
seems as if it isnt available at the tap of a finger, why put forth the effort??
the only way to get this addressed seems to be someone or a group who raises enough stink for folks to actually take notice.
im not a GI taxpayer but i do fish the Lake and have been waiting very patiently for the big ones to make their way back into the lake so i can finally catch one and for every illegally taken one that is one less opportunity for me and others like me......... and i dont have a enclosed cabin so i am freezing 95% of the time, so it does kinda get me heated thinking of the topic. :x
Not to mention if my job found out i did anything like this you would see me in the damn news after being reprimanded :oops:
................................................................................................ i hate when people and big coldwater fish get off the hook.
flyguy
Species: atlantic salmon

Post by flyguy »

I fish Kodiak and Afognak for silvers every year, too. For the past two years there have been many more F&W officers present and I have seen them issue citations for illegal fishing (read...snagging...even with single hook flies). While that seems to be a partial solution, or perhaps a deterrent to unethical behavior, it still costs the fishing community $ that could be better put to use. It is really up to US to self-police this sort of thing. If you see it happening, say something to the dirt bag, and then tell the rest of us so we can watch out for him.